All living organisms are subjected to the natural electromagnetic radiation reaching the earth from the sun. Thermal radiation (or infrared) is a band of energy in the complete electromagnetic spectrum and it has been used effectively for millennia to treat/ease certain health issues and discomforts.
FIR transfers energy purely in the form of heat which can be perceived by the thermoreceptors in human skin as radiant heat. Its application in medicine requires understanding and knowledge of the interactions of electromagnetic radiation at FIR range with biological structures (including cells, cell membranes, cell fluids – especially water, DNA/proteins) and functioning of the living systems in general. For simplicity, FIR can be broken down into 3 main properties: radiation, deep penetration, and resonance absorption.
- Radiation: it means it can directly reach human bodies just like light does. For example, sunlight, which is also radiation, reaches earth through the vastness of space.
- Deep penetration: FIR can reach well into subcutaneous layers of the body (or water) generating internal warmth suitable for molecule activation in living tissue.
- Resonance absorption: Once illuminated, there is intrinsic vibration of body components - water, protein, fat, enzymes. And, the interior of molecules - atoms and atomic structures - experience the resonance absorption of FIR of their same frequency. This elevation of molecular energy is known as "resonance and absorption" (Fatma Vatansever, 2012).
Further studies about the benefits of FIR can be found in the links below:
- “Repeated thermal therapy diminishes appetite loss and subjective complaints in mildly Depressed patients.” Psychosomatic Medicine. Researchers at Kagoshima University Hospital in Japan found that infrared light therapy improved the general well-being of patients suffering from anxiety, stress, depression and other ailments. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?itool=abstractplus&db=pubmed&cmd= Retrieve&dopt=abstractplus&list_uids=16046381
Reversing The Aging Process – an Enlightened Doctor’s Discovery Dr. Fouad I. Ghaly, M.D., conducted a review of the medical literature and medical history to investigate the benefits of far infrared light to treat stress, depression, chronic fatigue, chronic pain, cancer, thyroid, and a host of other ailments
Research and peer review studies This collection of studies by Japanese researchers shows the benefits of far infrared light to treat stress, depression, thyroid and other medical problems.
- Warming up to Far Infrared, by D. J. Fletcher, Alternative Medicine MagazineThis review of the medical literature details the studies supporting far infrared light’s ability to alleviate stress, depression, chronic fatigue, chronic pain, cancer, heavy metal detox, thyroid, and many other maladies. Source : BalancedLives.net.
The Promise of Far-Infrared Treatment, Acupuncture TodayAuthor Andrew Rader reviews the history and medical literature supporting far infrared light to treat chronic fatigue, chronic pain, cancer, heavy metal detox, prostate cancer and other illnesses
“The effects of repeated thermal therapy for patients with chronic pain.”Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics.Researchers at Nishi Kyusyu University found that repeated treatment with far-infrared light alleviated the symptoms of patients suffering from chronic pain.
“The Effects of Repeated Thermal Therapy for Two Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.” Journal of Psychosomatic Research. This study by researchers at Kagoshima University Hospital confirmed the benefits of far infrared light on patients suffering from chronic pain and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Bamboo charcoal inhibits growth of HeLa cells in vitro. Dental Materials Journal.This study by researchers at Osaka University School of Dentistry found bamboo charcoal emitted far infrared rays at levels that killed cancer cells.
Inhibition by whole-body hyperthermia with far-infrared rays of the growth of spontaneous mammary tumours in mice. Anticancer Research.Researchers at Meiji University in Japan used far-infrared treatment to treat breast cancer in mice. The results showed reduction in mortality rates for mice that underwent the treatment. The research shows the potential promise of the treatment for humans with breast cancer.
Effects of hydroxyapatite in combination with far-infrared rays on spontaneous mammary tumorigenesis in SHN mice. American Journal of Chinese Medicine. Researchers at Meiji University found that exposure to far infrared rays inhibited the growth of tumors in mice.
“Repeated thermal therapy improves impaired vascular endothelial function in patients with coronary risk factors.” Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Researchers from the First Department of Internal Medicine, Kagoshima University in Japan found exposure to far-infrared light treatment improved diabetes-related problems in heart patients.
Repeated sauna treatment improves vascular endothelial and cardiac function in patients with chronic heart failure. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Researchers from the First Department of Internal Medicine, Kagoshima University in Japan found exposure to far-infrared light treatment improved diabetes-related problems in heart patients.
“Biological Activities Caused by Far-Infrared Radiation.” International Journal of Biometeorology. Questionnaires sent to more than 500 patients using far infrared light treatment found a general improvement in well-being, including the ability to sleep.
- Far Infrared Sauna Purification, by Dr. Toshiko Yamazaki, MD, Japan Dr. Toshikoi Yamazaki owns a far infrared therapy clinic in Japan where she has done extensive research on the uses of far infrared therapy or infrared light therapy. In her book “The Science of Far Infrared Therapies”, she explains that one of the reasons far Infrared Therapy has beneficial results in a variety of illnesses, is the ability of far infrared waves to remove toxins which is often the core of many health problems.
The Benefits of Negative Ions
Negative ions are incredibly important in determining mood. Michael Terman, PhD, of Columbia University in New York, has researched negative ions and reports that, "The action of the pounding surf creates negative air ions and we also see it immediately after spring thunderstorms when people report lightened moods. Furthermore, Columbia University studies on depression in winter has shown that depression can be relieved as much through negative ion generators as it can through the use of antidepressants, without the negative side effects. These ions increase the amount of oxygen flow to the brain, increasing awareness and mental energy.
Further research into the benefits of negative ions can be found below:
- “Controlled Trial of Bright Light and Negative Air Ions for Chronic Depression.”Psychological Medicine. (Namni Goel, Ph.D., Michael Terman, Ph.D., Jiuan Su Terman, Ph.D., Mariana M. Macchi, Ph.D., and Jonathan W. Stewart, Ph.D.) This 2005 study confirmed that bright light and negative air ions helped reverse the symptoms of patients suffering from chronic depression. These patients also reported a reversal in the symptoms of fatigue, weight gain and stress. Source : Cet.org
- “Treatment of Seasonal Affective Disorder with a High-Output Negative Ionizer.” Michael Terman, Ph.D. and Jiuan Su Terman, Ph.D. This 1995 study evaluated the antidepressant effect of negative ions to treat people suffering from winter depression. The study found evidence that negative ions can be used as an antidepressant. There is also evidence negative ions reduce fatigue. Published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Source : Cet.org